Monday, November 2, 2009

On pain

Having lived through various degrees of physical pain, multiple surgeries and so on, I have experimented with various strategies to deal with it. In the beginning I used multiple avoidance tactics, including pain killers and keeping the mind busy with distractions. They worked to some degree. But I was always afraid that the pain would return, and it did.

More recently I've been turning around and looking directly at the pain. "Now, THIS is pain!" and feeling it more intensely, not adding to it, just feeling it. This is how it is for me now. I wonder how it will change, or move, and how long will it last this time. And it goes, not right away always, but it goes.

Doctors tell me "this is not going to get better" and I guess it hasn't, but my way of dealing with it has. It's as though I say, "Oh, there you are again. It's been a while. What a pain you are! See you around." No need for drugs now. Another good thing about this strategy is that I'm no longer afraid that it will return - and I know it's not me, just a regular visitor.

I have also noticed that physical pain brings me right back to the moment, even more effectively than calling my name out loud and responding. It also reminds me that our bodies are all wearing out and time here is short. And I'm grateful for that.

Reply to This

Your detailed description, Elizabeth, of this day's experience is so poignant because I think everyone can relate to the sudden shock of an injury or illness that brings major change in sensations and emotions all at once. It takes some training to deal with pain--people who live with chronic pain and have posted on these sites have developed their own, particular, strategies, usually with a lot of trial and error.

As a former EMT, I totally concur with Carole's advice to do all the practical things first, and think your impulse to consider alternatives is also very useful. When you've finished the planning, here's an abbreviated extrapolation of Marilyn's suggestion to look directly into the pain. This is my interpretation of teaching from Shinzen Young, who has worked for decades, very effectively, through Vipassana, with people who have terminal cancers & other pain untouchable by even morphine. I trained only briefly, some years ago, but was amazed at how even the pain of sitting on cramped knees could dissolve into beauty (such as Norman's description a few days ago.) I use this for other pain and illnesses that bring sudden physical discomfort and challenges.

Shinzen advised a comfortable posture (for those in pain, this could be very different, person-to-person), and a progressive examination of the pain, using the attitude of curiosity. So you can look at it directly, then characterize it more and more specifically--what size is the painful area, what is the "flavor" (sharp, stabbing, dull achy, hot); does it increase or decrease in size, does it move around or stay fixed. You may find that bringing direct awareness to pain actually increases it, particularly at first--this is normal and this is also why people use the alternative strategy of distraction. If you can stay with the pain, even as it increases, you can be curious about this increase as well--how fast did it occur, how much did it increase, and notice without judgment if you have thoughts about this increase. As you know, they will pass. Another way of characterization is a more global look at the physical sensations that radiate or emanate from the painful area--look at the entire body with curiosity as to whether you find tension in any muscles, contraction of the breath, prickles or sweating, nausea or weaknesses.

The key is not to resist any of the sensations or your thoughts or emotions about them, to become intimately acquainted with this pain, and to see any evidence of its impermanence or fixation without judgments or expectations.

I found that with some practice of this, my pain tended to break up, dissolve to a degree, sometimes into bliss. This does not always happen, but it often brings much more spaciousness to the experience and perspective.

Another version of the same old good stuff! Maybe another tool in the toolbox.

Cynthia

For the real McCoy, Google for the book/CD set that should still be available:
Shinzen Young, Break Through Pain (I think it's from Sounds True)